Accessible Trails

Do you have accessible trails?

We offer accessible trails at:

Bowmanville Westside Marshes Conservation Area

Connector to paved Waterfront Trail (200m) surface: crushed granular

Heber Down Conservation Area

Maple Leaf Trail (750 m) surface: crushed granular

Iroquois Trail (Town of Whitby, 2.3 km) surface: asphalt

Lynde Shores Conservation Area

Waterfront Trail (3.1 km) surface: asphalt

Purple Woods Conservation Area

Discovery Trail (900 m) surface: crushed granular, rolling terrain though slopes do not exceed 8%


Will I encounter a black bear in a conservation area?

Black bears live in most parts of Ontario and are rare visitors in our conservation areas. For your personal safety, and for the well-being of bears, it is important to learn about bears and their behaviour. Please review the "Being Bear Wise" document from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.

For an immediate emergency call: 911

To report a bear sighting in a conservation area call: 905 579 0411


Is camping offered at any conservation areas?

Unfortunately we do not offer camping at any of our conservation areas; however, Darlington Provincial Park offers seasonal camping.

Canoeing / Rentals

Does Central Lake Ontario Conservation have canoes for rent?

We do not rent out canoes, but we do have a seasonal* canoe launch (Open from July 15 to September 15) at the provincially significant Lynde Creek Marsh at Lynde Shores Conservation Area. This launch is off the main parking lot at the Victoria Street entrance.

*Canoeing/paddling is not permitted in this area during other times of the year in order to minimize the disturbance to wildlife that use this marsh during their sensitive breeding and migration periods.

Fallen Trees

Who should I call about a fallen tree?

If a tree from your property falls on your property or onto your property from a neighbouring property, it is your responsibility to remove and report service interruptions to hydro, and phone/cable providers. However there are exceptions when the tree is on public land as follows:

  • ​If a tree falls onto your property from a Central Lake Ontario Conservation property, please contact us
  • If a tree falls onto your property from a municipally owned park or property, please contact your municipality


Is fishing allowed in the conservation areas?

Fishing is permitted at Enniskillen, Heber Down, Lynde Shores* Conservation Areas, but anglers are asked to please stay on the designated trails, to take their garbage with them, and to fish only at approved locations. You may also find this Durham Region Fishing Map helpful. Anglers should be aware that while fishing is permitted, it is still regulated through the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, which includes the possession of a valid fishing license and respecting provincial catch limits.

*Fishing at Lynde Shores is limited to canoe fishing (canoe launch open July 15 - Sept. 15). Streambank fishing is not allowed.

Invasive Plants

Where can I report invasive plants? Report your observations to the Ontario's Invading Species Awareness Program hotline to help track target areas and species ranges and contact Diana Shermet, Terrestrial Ecologist by email ( or phone (905 579 0411 ext. 107).


May I take photos in the conservation areas?

We encourage photography for personal enjoyment in all our conservation areas. Wildlife and landscape photography can be entered into our photo contest. In accordance with Ontario Regulation 101/90, we do charge a fee for professional photographers who are using the conservation areas to do business.

Venue Rentals

Do you have any venue rentals?

The following venues are available for daily rentals, subject to availability and appropriate use.

  • Heber Down Conservation Area (3 Outdoor Picnic Areas)

  • Enniskillen Conservation Area (2 Outdoor Picnic Areas)

  • Enniskillen Conservation Area - Education Centre (1 Indoor Year Round Rental Facility - Weddings and Social Events)

  • Purple Woods Conservation Area - Heritage Hall (1 Indoor Seasonal Rental Facility - Please note there are no bookings for weddings and other social events (showers, graduations, anniversaries etc.) due to zoning restrictions.)

Please see "Facility Reservations" for more details.


What should I do if I see an injured animal or an abandoned baby animal?

Do not approach or touch the animal. Often wild animals have the best chance of survival if left on their own. This is why it is important to assess the situation carefully. Is the animal exhibiting abnormal behaviour? If you are concerned, please contact Soper Creek Wildlife Rescue or the Toronto Wildlife Centre. If the animal is a turtle, please contact the Ontario Turtle Conservation Centre. If it is an animal emergency, be sure to contact the rescue centres by phone rather than email. The goal is always to rehabilitate and return wildlife back to the location where they were found.

Recognize that it is illegal to keep any wild animal as a pet.

Winter Activity Equipment Rentals

Does Central Lake Ontario Conservation offer winter activity equipment rentals?

Snowshoeing and cross-country skiing are permitted in all of our conservation areas, pending conditions, however, there are no equipment rentals available. If you are interested in trying out snowshoeing, we do host an annual event in February where we invite the public to enjoy this winter activity at Enniskillen Conservation Area.

Garbage Cans

Why are there no garbage cans in the conservation areas?

Garbage receptacles in conservation areas are an attractant for our wildlife. Raccoons, skunks, and flying insects are all drawn to garbage, and can create a public safety issue for visitors. Wildlife and garbage generally results in garbage being spread over a large area, and possible health impacts to wildlife.

Garbage is expensive! Staff time and equipment is required to collect and transport garbage along with disposal fees. Recovering the costs related to garbage receptacles would impact the parking fees and we make every effort to keep parking fees low so we can continue to offer affordable visits to our conservation areas.

Central Lake Ontario Conservation does not sell or supply any products or materials that would generate garbage, such as drinks and snacks. Any garbage at the conservation areas has been brought in by visitors. We think it is reasonable that visitors who bring in garbage can take the garbage home for recycling and disposal. Staff hope that the "carry in, carry out" policy for garbage actually invokes thought about the waste we generate and encourages waste reduction and recycling at home.

Subscription Publications & Notifications Via Email

Using the Subscription Form you may signup to receove our various email publications and notifications that include: ~ Flood Messages ~ Watershed Chronicle E-Newsletter
~ News Releases You may pick which publications you prefer and unsubscribe at anytime.

How Do I?

Central Lake Ontario Conservation FAQs