CLOCA waves 2019.png

Central Lake Ontario Conservation

Advancing watershed health through engagement, science

and conservation since 1958.

Current Flood Status

Current News and Events

Lynde Shores Conservation Area is expanding!

A construction project is underway at Lynde Shores Conservation Area to provide:

  • A large constructed wetland to create additional habitat for wetland plants and wildlife
  • A new trail loop to provide a new visitor experience
  • A new Conservation Area entrance, parking lot and comfort station
​The work is a project of the Region of Durham and Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority (CLOCA). Grading work will be completed during the fall and winter, with completion of the project scheduled for late summer 2021. No trail closures are anticipated, but please be aware of construction in the Area, and stay out of the fenced construction zone. For more information, please contact CLOCA: Perry Sisson, Director of Engineering and Field Operations; 905-579-0411, ext. 118

SMART Watersheds' Project to Create Technology Ecosystem

Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority (CLOCA) is excited to announce their SMART Watersheds Project, funded with the generous support of the RBC Tech for Nature program. This investment provides CLOCA with state-of-the-art technological tools to ensure a more comprehensive understanding of the watersheds within CLOCA's jurisdiction. Read more...

Conservation Areas are open and parking fees are in effect

Due to COVID-19 mitigation measures our Pay-and-Display parking metres no longer accept cash (coins). The flat rate fee of $6/vehicle/day can be paid by Visa and MasterCard only. Frequent users of our Conservation Areas, you may want to consider purchasing an annual Parking Pass. This pass grants you access and parking to any of our eight Conservation Areas for one year from the date of purchase. See you on the trails!

What to expect when you visit our Conservation Areas during the winter months

We would like to remind visitors to our Conservation Areas of the following changes during the winter months:

Winter Trail Maintenance

Due to the sensitivity and nature of many of our low-impact trails, we do not maintain our trail surfaces in winter. The equipment and application of salt and sand would impact negatively on the very natural features you come to see. We do remove hazards like trees if they block our trails, so please contact us at 905-579-0411 if you notice a trail blockage.


Parking fees are in effect and annual passes available for purchase. Each Conservation Area has a pay-and-display system for parking, and we have moved away from cash due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and offer credit card options. Participating local libraries offer free parking passes for borrowing on a weekly basis. The annual parking pass costs $75 and can be used at any of our eight Conservation Areas.

Dogs on Leash

Please make sure your dog is a 'B.A.R.K. Ranger' at our Conservation Areas when you visit:

B – Bag your poop (and take it with you for proper disposal)

A – Always on a leash (six feet [two metres] maximum)

R – Respect wildlife (give them there space; you are the visitor)

K - Know where you can go (which trails/areas are pet friendly)

There are dog off-leash areas managed by the local municipality located next to Heber Down Conservation Area and Bowmanville Westside Marsh Conservation Area.

Road and Entrance Closures

If you are visiting Heber Down Conservation Area, please note that the entrance located at 500 Lyndebrook Road has been closed and will reopen in May when weather and road maintenance activities allow. Please note you can still access the Conservation Area at the north entrance, located at 5000 Cochrane Street.

Check out our Read Before You Go section on our website for more information on what our Conservation Areas have to offer you this winter.

Hydro One trees and vegetation maintenance - Heber Down Conservation Area

In order to create a safe distance between vegetation and the power lines, Hydro One will remove trees and other vegetation that will pose a risk to the electricity system from approx. March 8-22, 2021. As part of this work, Hydro One will also support Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority’s work to increase biodiversity in the area by removing invasive species, such as buckthorn. Their work will reduce invasive species in the hydro corridor, and ensure that native species are permitted to grow and to provide habitat for wildlife. Read the full notice here.

Maple Syrup Festival cancelled for 2021

As we continue to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19, and to keep our staff and visitors safe, we have made the decision to cancel our annual Purple Woods Maple Syrup Festival for 2021. Our staff will still be tapping our suagr maple trees, collecting the sap and producing our wonderful maple syrup, which is available to purchase year-round from our online store!

CLOCA issues Spring Safety Message: Be Careful Around Waterways Hazardous Conditions on and Around Bodies of Water

Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority (CLOCA) is reminding all watershed residents of the existing dangers near bodies of water as winter transitions to spring. We are urging everyone to keep friends, family and pets away from local creeks, wetlands, Lake Ontario and other waterways. Read more here. .

Online Tools

Regulation Area Search Tool

Purchase Annual Parking Pass

Events Calendar

Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

Lake Ontario Shoreline Hazards Management Plan

The CLOCA Board of Directors endorsed the final Lake Ontario Shoreline Management Plan (Zuzek, 2020) at the January 2021 Board meeting.

Maple Syrup Online Store

A variety of locally produced maple products, including our very own maple syrup from the sugar maple trees at Purple Woods Conservation Area!

Watershed Plans' Update

Central Lake Ontario Conservation has prepared updated Watershed Plans for the Lynde Creek, Oshawa Creek, Black / Harmony / Farewell Creek and Bowmanville / Soper Creek watersheds. These watershed plans represent a five-year update to existing watershed plans

Healthy watersheds for today and tomorrow.

Our watershed is located on the traditional territory of the Williams Treaties First Nations, the Chippewas of Beausoleil, Georgina Island and Rama and the Mississaugas of Alderville, Curve lake, Hiawatha, Scugog Island. 

Canada Helps Logo

Central Lake Ontario Conservation is a

non-profit agency and registered charity: BN: 106887102RR0001

Working in Partnership

© 2020 by Central Lake Ontario Conservation

100 Whiting Avenue, Oshawa, ON L1H 3T3

Email:, Phone: 905-579-0411